Focus: Infectious Disease
- M.P.H. Wayne State University, School of Medicine
- Infectious Diseases Pharmacy Fellowship, Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State University
- Post-graduate Year One Pharmacy Practice Residency, New York Methodist Hospital
- Pharm.D., Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
COURSES TAUGHT AT ACPHS
- PTPM Infectious Diseases Module
- Applied Methods in Epidemiologic Research
- Inpatient Antimicrobial Management/Pharmacokinetics
- Dr. Carreno’s research interests focuses on the application of technology and epidemiologic methods to evaluate and develop antimicrobial stewardship programs. Specifically, Dr. Carreno is interested in pharmacists’ roles in active surveillance, anti-infective related adverse event prevention, and bacterial epidemiology of infectious diseases.
- Carreno JJ (PI), Babowicz F. Lomaestro BM, Mitchell C, Tobin EH, George M. “Impact of a Novel Rapid Diagnostic Technique for Bacteremia in Patients Admitted to the ICU with Sepsis.” Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Scholarship of Discovery Award. Primary Investigator. 20% Effort. $5,000.
- Carreno JJ (PI), Lomaestro BM, Racz M, Tobin EH, Falvo J, Evans A, Montero C. “Impact of a Multidisciplinary Team on Time to Sepsis Resolution.” ASHP Foundation Pharmacy Practice Initiative Demonstration Grant. Primary Investigator. 20% Effort. $75,000.
- Carreno JJ (PI), Lomaestro B, Tietjan JC, Lodise TP. “Validation of a Bayesian Approach to Estimate Vancomycin Exposure in Obese Patients.” Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacist Young Investigator Research Award. Primary Investigator. 10% Effort. Direct Costs $10,000. Funded.
- Carreno JJ, Chambers RM, Kilgore P, Weinmann A, Bloome M, Centi A, Rodriguez J, Davis SL (PI). “Antimicrobial Stewardship Provided Through Novel Approaches to Optimize Pharmacists’ Workflow (Stewardship-NOW)” ASHP/ASHP Foundation Pharmacy Practice Model Initiatives Demonstration Grant. Co-Investigator, 33% Effort. Total Direct Costs: $25,000.
HONORS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Preceptor of the Year (2017)
- Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Provost Technology Award (2014)
- Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC) Infectious Diseases Fellow Grant (2013)
- Making a Difference in Infectious Diseases Pharmacotherapy (MAD-ID) Travel Grant (2013)
- IDWEEKTM Trainee Travel Grant (2012)
- Heroes of the Blizzard of 2010 commendation (2010)
Dr. Carreno is a Clinical Pharmacist at Albany Medical Center Hospital in Albany, NY.
PREVIOUS POSITIONS OR APPOINTMENTS
Clinical Pharmacy Instructor, Long Island University (2010 – 2011)
Adjunct Clinical Pharmacy Instructor, Lebanese American University, Beirut, Lebanon (2010 – 2011)
Carreno JJ, Eaton R, Itro L, Babowicz F, Falvo J, Tobin E, Mitchell C, George M. “Three Year Assessment of Time to Clinical Response in Patients with Sepsis Treated Before and After Implementation of a Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization Time-of-Flight Blood Culture Identification Algorithm.” Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2019 Apr 76 (7).
Rank EL, Lodise T, Avery L, Bankertt E, Dobson E, Dumyati G, Hassett S, Keller M, Pearsall M, Lubowski T, Carreno JJ. “Antimicrobial Susceptibility Trends Observed in Urinary Pathogens Obtained From New York State.” Open Forum Infect Dis. 2018 Nov; 5(11)
Carreno JJ, Smiraglia T, Hunter C, Tobin E, Lomaestro B. “Comparative incidence and excess risk of acute kidney injury in hospitalized patients receiving vancomycin and piperacillin-tazobactam in combination or as monotherapy.” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2018 Nov;52(5):643-650.
McLaughlin M, Carreno JJ, Harpe SE, Jensen AO, Lomaestro B, Esterly JS. Multicenter evaluation of IV acyclovir use prior to, during, and after a national shortage. Infectious Diseases. 2017;
Carreno JJ, Lomaestro B, Tietjan J, Lodise TP. Evaluation of a Bayesian Approach to Estimate Vancomycin Exposure in Obese Patients with Limited Pharmacokinetic Sampling: A Pilot Study. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017 Mar 13. pii: AAC.02478-16. doi: 10.1128/AAC.02478-16. [Epub ahead of print]
Carreno JJ, Kenney RM, Divine G, Vazquez JA, Davis SL. Randomized Controlled Trial to Determine the Efficacy of Early Switch From Vancomycin to Vancomycin Alternatives as a Strategy to Prevent Nephrotoxicity in Patients With Multiple Risk Factors for Adverse Renal Outcomes (STOP-NT). Ann Pharmacother. 2016 Nov 11.
Carreno JJ, Lomaestro B, Jacobs AM, Meyers RM, Evans A, Montero C. “Assessment of Time to Clinical Response in Patients with Sepsis Treated Before and After a Implementation of a Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization Time of Flight Based Blood Culture Algorithm” Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016 Aug;37(8):916-23. Epub 2016 Jun 9.
Carreno JJ, Kenney RM, Bloome M, McDonnell J, Rodriguez J, Weinmann A, Kilgore PE, Davis SL. “Evaluation of Pharmacy Generalists Performing Antimicrobial Stewardship.” Am J Health-Sys Pharm. 2015 Aug 1; 72 (15): 1298 – 1303.
Werth BJ, Carreno JJ, Reveles KD. “Shifting Trends in the Incidence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa Septicemia in Hospitalized Adults in the United States from 1996-2010.” Am J Infect Control. 2015 May 1;43(5):465-8.
Carreno JJ, Lodise TP. “Ceftaroline Fosamil for the treatment of community acquired pneumonia: from FOCUS to CAPTURE.” Infect Dis Ther. 2014 Sep 6. [Epub ahead of print]
Carreno JJ, Kenney RM, Lomaestro B. “Vancomycin-associated renal dysfunction: where are we now?” Pharmacotherapy. 2014 Dec;34(12):1259-68.
Dumkow LE, Kenney RM, MacDonald N, Carreno JJ, Malhotra MK, Davis SL. “Impact of a Multidisciplinary Culture Follow-up Program of Antimicrobial Therapy in the Emergency Department.” Infect Dis Ther. 2014 Apr 29. 3: 45 -53.
Carreno JJ, Jaworski A. Kenney RM. Davis SL. “Comparative Incidence of Nephrotoxicity by Age Group Among Adult Patients Receiving Vancomycin,” Infect Dis Ther. 2013 Dec 11. 2: 201 – 208.
CONFERENCES AND PRESENTATIONS
Vitale G, Eaton R, Laquidara A, Mitchell C, Carreno J. Inpatient antimicrobial stewardship medication use evaluation of meropenem at Albany Medical Center Hospital. ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, Anaheim CA, December 2-6, 2018.