- ASHP-Accredited Pharmacy Practice Residency completed at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center, Englewood, NJ
- Pharm.D., Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
COURSES TAUGHT AT ACPHS
- Pharmacotherapeutics, Pharmacology, & Medicinal Chemistry (PTPM) Rheumatology/Connective Tissue Diseases
- Topics in Family Medicine Professional Elective
- Drug Interactions Professional Elective
- Integrated Problem Solving Workshop 6
- Integrated Problem Solving Workshop 5
- Pharmacists as Immunizers
- Ambulatory Care, Rheumatology Advanced Practice Experience
- Pharmacy Education Advanced Practice Experience
- Dr. Farrell’s teaching and research activities focus on drug therapy in autoimmune diseases including rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, and systemic lupus erythematosus. Dr. Farrell is also a member of the research team at the Steffens Scleroderma Center.
HONORS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- 2014 Rheumatology Research Foundation Health Professionals Online Education Grant
- 2014 Albany College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences Preceptor of Distinction in Clinical Pharmacy
- American Pharmacists Association Immunization Certification
- The Center for Rheumatology Albany & Saratoga Springs, NY
SCHOLARLY ACTIVITY AND PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
Farrell JF. Selected Topics in Rheumatology: Core Therapeutic Module Series. American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (BCPS)/ Board Certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacist (BCACP) Review and Recertification program. 2018.
Toledo AE, Farrell JF, Shapiro LS. Malignant Atrophic Papulosis: State-of-the-Art Review of Kohlmeier-Degos Disease. The Rheumatologist. 2014;8(7):1, 25-28.
Flick C, Farrell JF. The Pharmacist’s Role in Managing Rheumatic Disease. The Rheumatologist. 2013;7(8):13-16.
Shapiro LS, Toledo AE, Farrell JF. Effective Treatment of Malignant atrophic papulosis (Köhlmeier-Degos disease) with Treprostinil – Early Experience. Orphanet J Rare Dis 2013;8(1):52.
Shapiro LS, Farrell JF, Borhani-Haghighi A. Tocilizumab treatment of neuro-Behcet’s, the first Report [letter]. Clin Neurol and Neurosurg. 2012;114(3):297-298.
Farrell JF. Gout and Hyperuricemia. In: Dong BJ, Elliott DP, eds. Ambulatory Care Self-Assessment Program (ACSAP), 2014 Book 1. Endocrinology/Rheumatology. Lenexa, KS: American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 2014:169-188.
Farrell JF. Selected Topics in Rheumatology: Core Therapeutic Module Series. Presented to board certified pharmacists, an ACPE-accredited 1-hour CE webinar program as part of American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Ambulatory Care and Pharmacotherapy Pharmacy Specialty Review Course. 2018.
Farrell JF. Overcoming Challenges in Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: Advances in Treatment & Management. Presented to health professionals, an ACPE-accredited 2-hour CE webinar program as part of Specialty Pharma Education Center Continuing Education Program. 2018.
Farrell JF. Multiple Perspectives in the Treatment of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). 11th Annual Rheumatology Nurses Society Conference, Fort Worth TX, August 10, 2018.
Farrell JF. Medical Information Toolkit: How to Find Reliable Medical Information on the Internet. Scleroderma Foundation National Patient Education Conference, Philadelphia PA, July 29, 2018.
Farrell JF. Scleroderma Disease and Medication Related Questions: Parent and Kids Q&A. Scleroderma Foundation National Patient Education Conference, Philadelphia PA, July 29, 2018.
Farrell JF. Biosimilars: Incorporating Use into Practice and Clinical Implications for Pharmacists. Presented to pharmacists, an ACPE-accredited CE program at the 2018 Spring IDN Summit and Reverse Expo, Orlando FL, April 17, 2018.
Farrell JF, Coblyn JS, Griffin F. Monotherapy for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Leveraging the Latest Evidence to Treat-to-Target. An ACPE-accredited CE webinar program as part of Clinical Care Options Immunology Continuing Education Program. 2018.
Farrell JF, Saag K. Optimal Approaches to Gout. An ACPE-accredited CE webinar program as part of Haymarket Medical Education Continuing Education Program. 2018.
Farrell JF. Safety Considerations for the Use of Anti-inflammatory and Disease Modifying Therapies in Autoimmune and Inflammatory Disorders. Presented to pharmacists, an ACPE-accredited 1-hour CE program as part of American Health Resources Continuing Education Program, Albany NY, May 3, 2018.
Farrell JF, Banerjee S. Large Vessel Vasculitis. Presented to physicians, pharmacists, health-care providers, residents and students at St. Peter’s Hospital Main Grand Rounds. Albany NY, February 14, 2018.
Farrell JF, Shapiro LS, Kremer JM, Toledo-Garcia AE. Pharmacist-Developed Letters May Enhance Success in Obtaining Insurer Approval for Off-Label Use of Biologics. Poster Presentation at American College of Rheumatology (ACR) 2014 Annual Scientific Meeting, Boston, MA, November 15-19, 2014.
Shapiro LS, Saketkoo LA, Farrell JF, Fligelstone K. Development of a Renal Crisis Prevention Card as an Educational Tool Aimed at Improving Outcomes in High-Risk Patients with Systemic Sclerosis. Poster Presentation at the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) 2014 Annual Scientific Meeting, Boston, MA, November 15-19, 2014.
Toledo-Garcia AE, Shapiro LS, Farrell JF. Malignant Atrophic Papulosis (MAP) Complicating Connective Tissue Diseases (CTDs). American College of Rheumatology (ACR) 2014 Annual Scientific Meeting, Boston, MA, November 15-19, 2014.
Toledo-Garcia AE, Shapiro LS, Farrell JF. Eculizumab Treatment of Malignant Atrophic Papulosis (Köhlmeier-Degos Disease): World Experience to Date. American College of Rheumatology (ACR) 2014 Annual Scientific Meeting, Boston, MA, November 15-19, 2014.
Shapiro LS, Toledo-Garcia AE, Farrell JF. Treprostinil Use in Malignant Atrophic Papulosis (Köhlmeier-Degos Disease): Review of Worldwide Experience to Date. American College of Rheumatology (ACR) 2014 Annual Scientific Meeting, Boston, MA, November 15-19, 2014.
Engle A, Farrell JF, Shangraw A, Flick C. Integrating a Post Graduate Year 1 Pharmacy Practice Resident into a Unique Ambulatory Care Rheumatology Clinic. New York State Council of Health System Pharmacists (NYSCHP) Annual Assembly, Saratoga Springs, NY, May 2-4, 2014.
Shapiro L, Toledo A, Farrell JF. Effective Treatment of Degos Disease with Treprostinil: Early Experience. 2nd Systemic Sclerosis World Congress, February 2-4, 2012.
- Patient Education Committee Member (2014- Present)
- Steffens Scleroderma Center (2011-Present)
- Development Committee Chair
- Fundraising Sub-Committee Co-Chair
New York State Council of Health System Pharmacists (NYSCHP)
- Northeastern Chapter Secretary (2011-Present)
- Professional Affairs Committee, Member (2010-Present)
- House of Delegates- Member (2010-Present)
- Northeastern Chapter Past-President (2010-2011)
- Membership Committee, Member (2009-2010)
- Northeastern Chapter President (2009- 2010)
American College of Rheumatology (ACR) /Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals (ARHP)
- ACR/ARHP Drug Safety Committee Member (2013-Present)
- ARHP Practice Committee Member (2012-Present)
- ARHP Clinical Focus Course Task Force (2009-2012)
- Member (2009-Present)
American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) - Member (2008-Present)
American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP) - Member (2008-Present)
American Society of Health System Pharmacists (ASHP) - Member (2006-Present)
Awarded a $45,000 grant for residency funding on behalf of and through the Center for Rheumatology by Janssen Biotech.