- M.S. in Biotechnology, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Cytotechnology Certificate Program, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- B.A. in Biology/Cytotechnology, The College of Saint Rose
COURSES TAUGHT AT ACPHS
- CYT510 Cytopathology of the Female Genital Tract
- CYT520 Exfoliative Non-Gynecologic Cytology I
- CYT530 Exfoliative Non-Gynecologic Cytology II
- CYT540 Cytopreparatory Techniques I
- CYT550 Cytopreparatory Techniques II
- CYT560 Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology I
- CYT570 Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology II
- CYT590 Clinical Practicum I
- CYT600 Clinical Practicum II
- BHS600 Capstone Project
- BHS690 Advanced Topics in Biotechnology
- BHS830 Grand Rounds in Pathology
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSURE
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Cytotechnologist Certification
- New York State Department of Health Cytotechnologist Licensure
- ThinPrep® Certification
- SurePath® Certification
- Cytotechnologist, University of Rochester Medical Center
- American Society for Cytotechnology (ASCT). Member, 2014-present.
- Chair of Education Committee (2014-present)
- American Society of Cytopathology (ASC). Member, 2009-present.
- Scientific Program Committee (2013-present)
- Editorial Board, The ASC Bulletin (2009-13)
- American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP). Member, 2008-present.
- Immediate Past President for the American Society for Cytotechnology (ASCT)
- Executive Board Member for ASCT Services
- ASCT representative for the Cytotechnology Education and Technology Consortium (CETC)
- American Society of Cytopathology (ASC) Research and Current Concepts Committee Member
- 2009 American Society of Cytopathology Foundation Cytotechnologist Scholarship
- Hug KA, Anthony L, Eldeiry D, Benson J, Wheeler E, Mousa S and Shi B. Expression and Tissue Distribution of MicroRNA-21 in Malignant and Benign Breast Tissues. Anticancer Research. 35: 3175-3184, 2015.
- Benson J, Russell DK, Bonfiglio T and Varghese S. Effect of TIS on Laboratory Rate of ASC-H and HGSIL Interpretations. CANCER (Cancer Cytopathology), 118(5): 331-332, 2010.
- Wagner DG, Russell DK, Benson JM, Schneider AE, Hoda RS, Bonfiglio TA. Cellient™ automated cell block versus traditional cell block preparation: A comparison of morphologic features and immunohistochemical staining. Diagnostic Cytopathology, 39(10): 730-736, 2011.
- 63rd American Society of Cytopathology Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL. 11/2015
- Participated in the Diagnostic Seminar with three other panelists (pathologists)
- Presented two unknown cases and provided final diagnoses for audience
- National Society for Histotechnology Annual Meeting. Seattle, WA. 09/2010
- Co-Director: Workshop on "Histochemical and Immunocytochemical Methods: Their Use for Cytology Specimens”