Joseph Carreno, Pharm.D.
- M.P.H. (in-progress) Wayne State University, School of Medicine
- Infectious Diseases Pharmacy Fellowship, Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State University
- Post-graduate Year One Pharmacy Practice Residency, New York Methodist Hospital
- Pharm.D., Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
Courses Taught at ACPHS
- PTPM Infectious Diseases Module
- Advanced Infectious Diseases
- Integrated Problem Solving Workshop V
- Applied Methods in Epidemiologic Research
- Dr. Carreno’s research interests focuses on the application of technology and epidemiologic methods to evaluate and develop antimicrobial stewardship programs. Specifically, Dr. Carreno is interested in pharmacists’ roles in active surveillance, anti-infective related adverse event prevention, and bacterial epidemiology of infectious diseases.
- Carreno JJ (PI), Lomaestro B, Tietjan JC, Lodise TP. “Validation of a Bayesian Approach to Estimate Vancomycin Exposure in Obese Patients.” Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacist Young Investigator Research Award. Primary Investigator. 10% Effort. Direct Costs $10,000. Funded.
- Carreno JJ, Chambers RM, Kilgore P, Weinmann A, Bloome M, Centi A, Rodriguez J, Davis SL (PI). “Antimicrobial Stewardship Provided Through Novel Approaches to Optimize Pharmacists’ Workflow (Stewardship-NOW)” ASHP/ASHP Foundation Pharmacy Practice Model Initiatives Demonstration Grant. Co-Investigator, 33% Effort. Total Direct Costs: $25,000.
Honors and Achievements
- Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Provost Technology Award (2014)
- Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC) Infectious Diseases Fellow Grant (2013)
- Making a Difference in Infectious Diseases Pharmacotherapy (MAD-ID) Travel Grant (2013)
- IDWEEKTM Trainee Travel Grant (2012)
- Heroes of the Blizzard of 2010 commendation (2010)
- Dr. Carreno is a Clinical Pharmacist at Albany Medical Center Hospital in Albany, NY.
Previous positions or appointments
- Clinical Pharmacy Instructor, Long Island University (2010 – 2011)
- Adjunct Clinical Pharmacy Instructor, Lebanese American University, Beirut, Lebanon (2010 – 2011)
Carreno JJ, Kenney RM, Bloome M, McDonnell J, Rodriguez J, Weinmann A, Kilgore PE, Davis SL. “Quasi-Experimental Evaluation of Pharmacy Generalists Performing Antimicrobial Stewardship.” Am J Health-Sys Pharm. In Press.
Dumkow LE, Kenney RM, MacDonald, Carreno JJ, Malhotra MK, Davis SL. “Impact of a Multidisciplinary Culture Follow-up Program of Antimicrobial Therapy in the Emergency Department.” Infect Dis Ther. 2014. Jun 3:45–53
Carreno JJ, Jaworski A. Kenney RM. Davis SL. “Comparative Incidence of Nephrotoxicity by Age Group Among Adult Patients Receiving Vancomycin,” Infect Dis Ther. 2013 Dec. 2: 201 – 208