Ph.D. Genetics/Biology, University of Madras, India
M.S. Biology, University of Madras, India
B.S. Biology, University of Madras, India
- Cancer cell culture, human embryonic stem cell research, nano-medicine (in vivo and in vitro analysis), angiogenesis, development of animal models for cancer, detection by in vivo imaging in live mice, IVIS and confocal microscopy, molecular studies and flow cytometry.
- Cardiovascular diseases and in vivo and in vitro models – adult and neonatal cardiac myocyte isolation and culture, surgical microscopy, fluorescent microscopy and ECG.
- Screening of genetic mutation for human genetic disorders - molecular studies, gene mapping, DNA sequencing and micro dissection.
- Genomic instability of cancer and cell cycle – temperature sensitive suspension cancer cell culture, flow cytometry, TEM and fluorescence microscopy and FISH analysis.
- Cytogenetic studies of genetic disorders and genetic counseling – white blood cell culture and microscopy.
- Newborn screening and genetic counseling.
Honors and Awards
- Best poster award, International Society for Heart Research Symposium, Chandigarh, India.
- The identification of new gene for limb-girdle-muscular dystrophy was published in news media (TV, newspaper).
- Barbara Graham Endowment Research Funding, Guelph Ontario Veterinary College, Canada.
- Visiting Scientist, Ministry of Education, Science and Culture of Japan.
- Research Fellowship, Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi, India.
- University rank holder, University of Madras, India.
- First class distinction, University of Madras, India.
Danelisen I, Lou H, Sudha T, Singal PK. Antioxidant vitamins in cardiovascular disease. In: “Antioxidants and Cardiovascular”. Narosa Publishers, New Delhi, India, 1-17, 2003.
Sudha T, Kaneda S, Nagai Y, Yamao F, Tsuji H, Sameshima M, Matsuda Y, Seno T. Abnormal integrity of molecules associated with cell cycle arrest in a mouse cell mutant of the temperature-sensitive ubiquitine-activating enzyme E1. In “1993 Annual report of National Institute of Genetics, Japan”, No. 4, p. 27-28, 1993.
Sudha T, Kaneda S, Nagai Y, Yamao F, Seno T. Pulverization of chromosomal NORs in the mouse cell mutant of temperature-sensitive ubiquitin-activating enzyme with the arrest point at G2 phase of cell-cycle. In “1992 Annual Report of National Institute of Genetics, Japan”, No. 43, p 28-29, 1992.
Sudha T, Jayam S, Swami S, Ramachandran R. Cytogenetic studies in Down’s syndrome: A report from Down’s Research society, Madras. In “Prevention & management of Down’s syndrome”. Eds. Usha Rani P, Reddy PP, Sujatha M, pp 26-30, 1991.
Invited Review Articles
Kumar D, Sudha T, Singal PK. Can apoptosis explain heart failure? Kuwait Medical Journal 35: 86-90, 2003.
Sudha T, Gopinath PM. An overview of the contribution of chromosomal anomalies to recurrent fetal loss. In “Genetics: Perspectives in man and environment”. Eds. Santhya ST, Malathy R, Jayaraman G, pp. 1-4, 1990.
Peer Reviewed Articles
Yalcin M, Lin HY, Sudha T, Bharali DJ, Meng R, Tang HY, Davis FB, Stain SC, Davis PJ, Mousa SA. Response of Human Pancreatic Cancer Cell Xenografts to Tetraiodothyroacetic Acid Nanoparticles. Horm Cancer. 2013 Feb 28. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23456390.
Rebbaa A, Patil G, Yalcin M, Sudha T, Mousa SA. OT-404, multi-targeted anti-cancer agent affecting tumor proliferation, chemo-resistance, and angiogenesis. Cancer Lett. 2013 May 10;332(1):55-62. doi:10.1016/j.canlet.2013.01.016. Epub 2013 Jan 21. PubMed PMID: 23348692.
Sudha T, Phillips P, Kanaan C, Linhardt RJ, Borsig L, Mousa SA. Inhibitory effect of non-anticoagulant heparin (S-NACH) on pancreatic cancer cell adhesion and metastasis in human umbilical cord vessel segment and in mouse model. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2012 Feb 18. DOI: 10.1007/s10585-012-9461-9.
Rebbaa A, Chu F, Sudha T, Gallati C, Dier U, Dyskin E, Yalcin M, Bianchini C, Shaker O, and Mousa SA. The anti-angiogenic activity of NSITC, a specific cathepsin L inhibitor. Anticancer Res. 29:4473-4481, 2009.
Mousa SA, Sudha T, Dier E, Gallati C, Dyskin E, Hanko C, Chittur S, and Rebbaa A. Stress resistance human embryonic stem cells as a source for identification of cancer stem cell markers. Cancer Letter, 289:208-218, 2009.
Mousa SA, Gallati C, Simone T, Dier E, Yalcin M, Dyskin E, Sudha T, Hanko C, and Rebbaa A. Dual targeting of the antagonistic pathways mediated by SIRT1 and TXNIP as a putative approach to enhance the efficacy of anti-aging intervention. Aging, 1:412:424, 2009.
Zheng X, Chu F, Mirkin BL, Sudha T, Mousa SA, and Rebbaa A. Role of the proteolytic hierarchy between cathepsin L, cathepsin D, and caaspase-3 in regulation of cellular susceptibility to apoptosis and autophagy. Bichemica et Biophysica Acta, 1783: 2294-300, 2008.
Frosk P, Weiler T, Neylen E, Sudha T, Greenberge CR, Fujiwara M, Morgan K, Wrogemann K. Mutation in HT2A, a member of the Tripartite Motif Family (TRIM), is associated with Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 2H (LGMD2H). Am J Hum Genet 70: 663-72, 2002.
Sudha T, Dawson AJ, Prasad AN, Konkin D, de Groot GW, Prasad C. De novo interstitial long arm deletion of chromosome 3 with facial dysmorphism, Dandy-Walker variant malformation and hydrocephalus. Clin Dysmorphol 10: 193-6, 2001
Kharbanda S, Saxena S, Yoshida K, Pandey P, Kaneki M, Wang Q, Cheng K, Chen YN, Campbell A, Sudha T, Yuan ZM, Narula J, Weichselbaum R, Nalin C, Kufe D. Translocation of SAPK/JNK to mitochondria and interaction with Bcl-x(L) in response to DNA damage. J Biol Chem 7:322-7, 2000
Sudha T, Tsuji H, Sameshima M, Matsuda Y, Kaneda S, Nagai Y, Yamao F, Seno T. Abnormal integrity of the nucleolus associated with cell cycle arrest owing to the temperature-sensitive ubiquitin-activating enzyme E1. Chromosome Res. 3:115-23, 1995
Sudha T, Jayam S. Pericentric inversion in homologues of chromosome 9. Japanese J Hum Genet 38:341-3, 1993
Sudha T, Selvakumar A, Damodaran C, Gopinath PM. Parental sharing of human leucocyte antigens associated with reproductive fetal loss. J Obstet Gynecol India 43: 341-343, 1993
Sudha T, Chandra N, Gopinath PM. Chromosomal anomalies associated with reproductive loss. J Reproductive Endocrinology 3: 85-94, 1991
Sudha T, Gopinath PM. Polymorphism of chromosomes and repeated fetal loss. Indian J Obstet Gynecol 4: 123-135, 1991
Sudha T, Gopinath PM. Homologous Robertsonian translocation (21q21q) and abortions. Hum Genet 8:253-5, 1990
Sudha T, Jayam S, Ramachandran R. The association of t (13q, 14q) with Down's syndrome and its inheritance. Indian J Pediatr 57:249-52, 1990
Sudha T, Gopinath PM. Translocation (14;21)(q11;q22) in a woman with history of abortions and a child with Down's syndrome. Ann Genet 33:162-4, 1990
PREVIOUS POSITIONS OR APPOINTMENTS
- Research Manager, Vascular Vision Pharmaceuticals Co, Rensselaer, NY
- Research Manager, Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical Research Institute at Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Rensselaer, NY
- Biologist/Geneticist, Cytopia Inc., Rensselaer, NY
- Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences St. Boniface General Hospital Research Centre, Winnipeg, Canada
- Research Associate, Department of Biochemistry and Medical Genetics, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Guelph, Veterinary College, Ontario, Canada
- Visiting Scientist, National Institute of Genetics, Mishima, Shizuoka ken, Japan
- Geneticist, Down Research Society, Vijaya Hospital, Madras, India
- Research Fellow, Indian Council of Medical Research Dept Genetics, University of Madras, India