Vandhana Muralidharan-Chari, Ph.D.
Pharmaceutical Research Institute (PRI)
Tel: (518) 694-7579
Fax: (518) 694-7567
- Ph.D., Molecular Neuro-Pathobiology, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
(Advisor-Dr. Kamel K. Khalili)
M.Sc., Human Genetics, University of Madras, India
B.Sc., Zoology, University of Madras, India
- Understanding the mechanisms of metastasis and tumor progression. In particular, in understanding the roles of microparticles in various steps of tumor progression and tumor metastasis.
- Khalili K, Del Valle L, Muralidharan V, Gault WJ, Darbinian N, et al. (2003) Puralpha is essential for postnatal brain development and developmentally coupled cellular proliferation as revealed by genetic inactivation in the mouse. Mol Cell Biol 23: 6857-6875.
Tague SE, Muralidharan V, D'Souza-Schorey C (2004) ADP-ribosylation factor 6 regulates tumor cell invasion through the activation of the MEK/ERK signaling pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 9671-9676.
Hoover H, Muralidharan-Chari V, Tague S, D'Souza-Schorey C (2005) Investigating the role of ADP-ribosylation factor 6 in tumor cell invasion and extracellular signal-regulated kinase activation. Methods Enzymol 404: 134-147.
Muralidharan-Chari V, Clancy J, Plou C, Romao M, Chavrier P, et al. (2009) ARF6-regulated shedding of tumor cell-derived plasma membrane microvesicles. Curr Biol 19: 1875-1885.
Muralidharan-Chari V, Hoover H, Clancy J, Schweitzer J, Suckow MA, et al. (2009) ADP-ribosylation factor 6 regulates tumorigenic and invasive properties in vivo. Cancer Res 69: 2201-2209.
Muralidharan-Chari V, Clancy JW, Sedgwick A, D'Souza-Schorey C (2010) Microvesicles: mediators of extracellular communication during cancer progression. J Cell Sci 123: 1603-1611.
- US Utility Patent application (Application. no. 12/942,858 filed 11/9/2010) titled “Method for Detecting Invasive Microvesicles Derived from Tumor Cells”.
Research and Conference Presentations:
ARF6 regulates cell invasion through the activation of the MEK/ERK signaling pathway. Walther Annual Meeting 2004, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN (Won award for best post-doctoral presentation).
ARF6-regulated Shedding of Plasma Membrane-derived Microvesicles Facilitates Cell-Matrix Interactions and Matrix Degradation. “Cell Matrix Interactions and Signaling” Minisymposium, 2009 Annual Meeting of the American Society for Cell Biology, San Diego, CA.
ARF6: An Emerging Regulator of Tumor Cell Invasion and Metastasis. Invited Seminar 2010, Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai, India.
Muralidharan-Chari V, Raposo G, and D’Souza-Schorey C (2007). ARF6-regulated release of ectosomes. Mol Biol Cell 22, 4705 (abstract #269)
Muralidharan-Chari V*, Hoover H*, Suckow M, Schroeder V, Castellino F, Schorey J, and D’Souza-Schorey C (2007). ADP-ribosylation factor 6 regulates tumorigenic and metastatic properties in vivo. Mol Biol Cell 22, 4705 (abstract #1874)
Previous Positions or Appointments:
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame, IN
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Advisor-Dr. Crislyn D’Souza-Schorey, University of Notre Dame, IN
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Advisor- Dr. David Hyde, University of Notre Dame, IN
Research Technician, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
Professional Organization Memberships:
- American Society for Cell Biology
International Society for Extracellular Vesicles