Ian Douglas, Ph.D.
Vice Provost for Innovative Learning and Academic Support Services
Tel: (518) 694-7237
- Ph.D. Computing, Glasgow Caledonian University, UK
- M.Sc. Computing and Cognition, University of Warwick, UK
- M.A. (HONS), Psychology, University of Glasgow, UK
- Associate Program Director, Learning Systems Institute, Florida State University (1998-2012)
- Associate Professor, College of Communications & Information, Florida State University (2006-2012)
- Section Head, School of IT and Applied Science, Temasek Polytechnic, Singapore (1996-1998)
- Human factors in technology, user-centered design, web software development, organizational performance improvement, e-learning, knowledge management
Selected Research Grants
- Douglas, I. Co-PI (awarded August 2010 - 3 year grant) with Marty, P. Habitat Tracker: Digital Journals for Science Education in Wildlife Centers. National Institute of Education - $1,168,247.
Douglas, I. Co-PI (Feb, 2009 - Feb 2011) with Eccles, D and Ward, P. (LSI). Investigating the effect of appliance interface design on energy-use behavior. Institute for Energy Systems, Economics and Sustainability (IESES). State of Florida - $250,000.
Douglas, I. Co-PI with McLure, C. (College of Information) (Feb, 2009 - Feb 2010). Development of a renewable energy research web portal. Institute for Energy Systems, Economics and Sustainability (IESES). State of Florida - $210,000.
Douglas, I. Principal Investigator (Sept 2003 - Jan 2006). Net-Centric Performance Improvement. Army Research Office. Proposal to develop and test models for configurable enterprise software for knowledge management of organizational performance knowledge. Army Research Office - $2,600,000.
Douglas, I. Principal Investigator (Sept 2001 - Sept 2003). Automated Object-Oriented Performance Analysis. Proposal to develop and test models for software support of human performance analysis. Army Research Office - $1,800,000.
Selected Articles and Book Chapters
- Douglas, I. & Liu, Z. (2011). Global Usability. Springer.
- Bias, R,. Marty, P. and & Douglas, I. (in press). Usability/User-Centered Design in the iSchools: Justifying a Teaching Philosophy. Journal of Education in Library and Information Science.
Douglas, I. (2012). Medical Critiquing Systems. In R. Magdalena-Benedito, E. Soria-Olivas, J. Martínez, J. Gómez-Sanchis, & A. Serrano-López (Eds.), Medical Applications of Intelligent Data Analysis: Research Advancements (pp. 209-222). Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference.
Douglas, I., (2011). Organizational needs analysis and knowledge management. Encyclopedia of Knowledge Management, 2nd Edition, edited by David G. Swartz, Idea Group, 1290-1297.
Douglas, I., (2010). Incorporating human factors and systems thinking into organizational improvement. The Southeast Asia Network of Ergonomics Societies Conference (SEANES), Cebu City, Philippines on December 14-17, 2010.
Douglas, I., (2010). Rethinking portal design: a case study on renewable energy research. The International ACM Conference on Management of Emergent Digital EcoSystems (MEDES 2010), October 26-29, Bangkok, Thailand.
Douglas, I., (2010). Improving the tracking of student participation and effort in online learning. Learning Management System Technologies and Software Solutions for Online Teaching: Tools and Applications, edited by Yefim Kats, IGI Global, 173-186.
Douglas, I., (2009). An object and performance framework for implementation of web-based knowledge sharing technology. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Electronic Commerce Research. 4 (1), 57-71.
Douglas, I., (2009). An ethnographic study of individual learning content management. 9th IFIP World Conference on Computers in Education (WCCE 2009), Bento Gonçalves, Brazil, pp. 100-105.
Douglas, I., (2009). Global mapping of usability labs and centers. Computer Human Interaction Conference, ACM CHI conference, April 4 – 9, Boston, MA, USA, pp. 4393-4398.
Schaffer, S. & Douglas, I., (2008). Integrating knowledge, performance and learning systems. Chpt 4.19 in M. Jennex (Ed.), Knowledge management: concepts, methodologies, tools and applications. Hershey, PA: Idea Group Reference, 1595-1604 (Reprint of 2006 article).
Douglas, I. (2008). Knowledge-based systems. Handbook of Research on Educational Communications and Technology (3rd ed.). Edited by J. M. Spector, M. D. Merrill, J. J. G. van Merriënboer, & M. P. Driscoll, 729-759.
Douglas, I. (2008). Adapting use cases for human performance modeling. Handbook of visual languages for instructional design: Theories and practices. Edited by L. Botturi and T. Stubbs (Eds.) Hershey, PA: Information Science Research, 210-225.
Douglas, I. (2008). Global spread of usability expertise. Euro American Conference on Telematics and Information Systems. Aracaju, Brazil, September.
Douglas, I. (2008). Measuring participation in Internet supported courses. Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering, Volume: 5, pp. 714-718.
Douglas, I. & Marty, P. (2008). Supporting school visits through mobile computing and interactive journaling. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Information Technology and Applications, pp. 490-494.
Honors and Awards
- Florida State University: President’s award for the most innovative use of technology in instruction
Temasek Polytechnic, Singapore: Annual innovation award
Membership in Professional Organizations
- Association of Computer Machinery (ACM)
Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) Computer Society
International Society for Performance Improvement (ISPI)