Manjunath (Amit) Pai, Pharm.D., BCPS
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Albany Campus
Tel: (518) 694-7146
- Pharm.D., College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin and The University of Texas, Health Sciences Center at San Antonio
Post Doctoral Training:
- Clinical and Translation Science Center Scholar (2006-2008), CTSC, School of Medicine, University of New Mexico (UNM). Mentor: C. Richard Lyons, M.D., Ph.D.
Clinical Research Scholars Program (2001-2003), General Clinical Research Center, University of New Mexico (UNM). Mentor: Corey C. Ford, M.D., Ph.D.
Fellowship in Infectious Diseases Pharmacotherapy (1999-2001), College of Pharmacy, University Of Illinois at Chicago (UIC). Mentors: Keith A. Rodvold, Pharm.D. and Larry H. Danziger, Pharm.D.
Fellowship in Infectious Diseases Pharmacotherapy, College of Pharmacy, University Of Illinois at Chicago (UIC). Mentors: Keith A. Rodvold, Pharm.D. and Larry H. Danziger, Pharm.D.
Pharmacy Practice Residency (1998-1999), Clinical Pharmacology Service, Bassett Healthcare, Cooperstown, New York. Mentor: Joseph S. Bertino, Jr., Pharm.D.
- Scientist, Translational Medicine, Institute for Clinical Pharmacodynamics, Ordway Research Institute, Latham, New York. Directors: Paul G. Ambrose, Pharm.D. and Sujata M. Bhavnani, Pharm.D., M.S.
Associate Professor of Pharmacy - Tenured, Assistant Professor of Pharmacy, Pharmacy Practice, Pharmacy Administration Graduate Program, College of Pharmacy, UNM, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Courses Taught at ACPHS:
- Pharmacotherapy II
Pharmacotherapy III (Infectious Diseases Module)
Honors and Awards:
- > Regulatory Science Excellence Award, Renal Drug Dosing Group, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, United States Food and Drug Administration (US FDA), Silver Spring, MD (2011)
- > Teacher of the Year, College of Pharmacy, UNM, Albuquerque, NM. (2008)
- > Young Investigator Award, Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists (2007)
- > Drug Therapy Research Award, American Society of Health Systems Pharmacy (2007)
- Dr. Pai studies strategies to optimize antimicrobial drug dosing in special populations. His current work involves the study of pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamics (PK-PD) of antimicrobials in obese patients. To hear Dr. Pai discuss the challenges of drug dosing in obese patients, listen to his appearance on Northeast Public Radio's Academic Minute program.
Selected Publications (15 of 45 PubMed Citations)
- Obesity (* indicates corresponding authorship)
*Pai MP, Nafziger AN, Bertino JS. Simplified dosing of aminoglycosides in underweight and obese adult patients. Antimicrob Agents Chemother Epub ahead of print, June 13, 2011.
*Pai MP, Lodise TP. Steady–state plasma pharmacokinetics of voriconazole in obese adults. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2011;55(6):2601-5
*Pai MP, Lodise TP. Steady–state plasma pharmacokinetics of voriconazole in obese adults. 2011;55(6):2601-5
*Morrish G, Pai MP, Green B. The effects of obesity on drug pharmacokinetics in humans.Exp Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 2011;7(6):697-706
*Pai MP. Estimating the glomerular filtration rate for drug dosing in obesity. Adv Chron Kid Dis 2010;17(5):e53-62.
*Pai MP, Bruce H, Felton LA. Clinical pharmacokinetics of oral controlled-release 5-fluorocytosine. Antimicrob Agents Chemother
Demirovic JA, Pai AB, *Pai MP. Estimation of creatinine clearance in morbidly obese patients.Am J Health Syst Pharm 2009;66(7):642-8.
Pai MP, *Bearden DT. Antimicrobial dosing considerations in morbidly obese patients. Pharmacotherapy 2007;27(8);1081-1091.
*Pai MP, Norenberg JP, Anderson T, Goade DW, Rodvold KA, Telepak RJ, Mercier RC. Influence of morbid obesity on the single dose pharmacokinetics of daptomycin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2007;51(8):2741-7.
Antifungal Pharmacology (* indicates corresponding authorship)
*Pai MP, Bruce H, Felton LA. Clinical pharmacokinetics of oral controlled-release 5-fluorocytosine. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2010;54(3):1237-41.
*Pai MP; Antifungal combinations against simulated Candida albicans endocardial vegetations. Antimicrob Agents Chemother; 2009;53(6):2629-31.
*Pai MP, Sakoglu U, Peterson SL, Lyons CR, Sood R. Characterization of BBB permeability in a preclinical model of cryptococcal meningoencephalitis using magnetic resonance imaging. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2009;29(3):545-53.
*Pai MP, Sample ML, Mercier RC, Spilde MN. Activity and ultrastructural effects of antifungal combinations against simulated Candida endocardial vegetations.Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2008; 52(7):2367-76.
*Pai MP, Turpin RS, Garey KW. Association of fluconazole AUC/MIC and Dose/MIC with mortality in non-neutropenic patients with candidemia. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2007;51:35-39.
*Garey KW, Rege M, Pai MP, Mingo DE, Suda KJ, Turpin RS, Bearden DT. Time until initiation of fluconazole therapy impacts mortality in patients with candidemia: A multi-institutional study. Clin Infect Dis 2006;43:25-31.
*Pai MP, Norenberg JP, Telepak RJ, Sidney DS, Yang S. Assessment of effective renal plasma flow, enzymuria and cytokine release in healthy volunteers receiving a single dose of amphotericin B desoxycholate. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2005;49(9):3784-8.