Lauren Purington, Ph.D.
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Albany Campus
Tel: (518) 694-7354
- Ph.D. University of Michigan, Pharmacology
B.S. Clarkson University, Bio-molecular Science and Chemistry
Courses Taught at ACPHS:
- > Pathophysiology II
- > Drugs of Abuse
- > Introduction to Pharmaceutical Sciences
- > Infectious Disease Pharmacology
- > Neuropharmacology
- > Cardiovascular Pharmacology
- > Scientific Literature Evaluation
- > Pharmacology III
- > Cardiovascular
- > Neuro/Psych
- My research focuses on interactions between mu and delta opioid receptors in the production of tolerance and dependence. Using computational modeling of the mu and delta opioid receptor, I designed, synthesized, and characterized bifunctional tetra- and pentapeptides to produce ligands displaying both mu-agonism and delta-antagonism.
Anand, J.C., Purington, L.C., Pogozheva, I.D., Traynor, J.R., Mosberg, H.I. "Modulation of opioid receptor ligand affinity and efficacy using active and inactive state receptor models." Chemical Biology Drug Design, 80:763-770, 2012.
Purington, L.C., Sobczyk-Kojiro, K., Pogozheva, I.D., Traynor, J.R., Mosberg, H.I. "Development and in vitro characterization of a novel bifunctional μ-agonist/δ-antagonist opioid tetrapeptide." ACS Chemical Biology, 6(12):1375-1381, 2011.
Purington, L.C., Pogozheva, I.D., Traynor, J.R., Mosberg, H.I. "Pentapeptidesdisplaying μ-opioid receptor agonist and δ-opioid receptor antagonist/partial agonist properties." Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 52(23): 7724-7731, 2009.
- Society for Neuroscience (San Diego, CA) "Interactions between endogenous opioid receptors in SH-SY5Y cells." L.Purington, E. Levitt, H.I. Mosberg, J.R. Traynor, 2010.
Experimental Biology (New Orleans, LA) "Understanding affinity and efficacy using mixed-action opioid peptides." L.C. Purington, H.I. Mosberg, J.R. Traynor, 2009.
Honors and Achievements:
- University of Michigan Graduate Teaching Certificate, Rackham Graduate School and Center for Research on Learning and Teaching, Ann Arbor, MI, 2011.
Professional Organization Membership:
- Member of the American Society of Phamacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET)
- MSPS Graduate Admissions Committee