Kenneth J. Blume, Ph.D.
Department of Humanities and Communication
Tel: (518) 694-7265
- Ph.D. in History, State University of New York at Binghamton
Courses Taught at ACPHS
- > American Civil War
- > American Government
- > American National Character
- > Hitler's Empire
- > Humanities 102
- > Humanities 201
- > International Relations
- > Modern American Foreign Policy
- > Studies in Leadership
- > The Human Beast
- > Vietnam War
- Nineteenth century U.S. diplomatic and maritime history, and in particular: U.S. shipping subsidies, 1865-1914; United States-Brazil Mail Steamship Company, 1864-1893; relationship between coal and foreign policy in 19th century; 19th century steam shipping to the Caribbean; African-American diplomats, 1865-1914; history of the U.S. maritime industry and maritime entrepreneurs.
- Historical Dictionary of the U.S. Maritime Industry. Scarecrow Press, 2012.
The A to Z of U.S. Diplomacy from the Civil War to World War I. Scarecrow Press, 2010.
Historical Dictionary of U.S. Diplomacy from the Civil War to World War I. Scarecrow Press, 2005.
Journal and Encyclopedia Articles
- "Cruise of the U.S.S. Narragansett"; "United States Exploring Expedition". Historical Dictionary of Oceania, 1981.
"Alfred Thayer Mahan"; "Caspar Goodrich". Biographical Dictionary of Internationalists, 1983.
"The Hairy Ape Reconsidered: The American Merchant Seaman and the Transition from Sail to Steam in the Nineteenth Century". The American Neptune, 1984.
The Flight From the Flag: The American Government, the British Caribbean and the American Merchant Marine, 1861-1865". Civil War History, 1986.
"Coal and Diplomacy in the British Caribbean During the Civil War". Civil War History, 1995.
"U.S. Foreign Policy, 1865-1918: General Works"; "Transport: General Works". Reader's Guide to American History, 1997.
"James Alden"; "Andrew Hull Foote"; "Richard W. Meade III". American National Biography, 1999.
"Navy: U.S.A."; "Navy: C.S.A."; "Blockade". Encyclopedia of the American Civil War, 2000.
“Concessions Where Concessions Could be Made: The Naval Efficiency Boards of 1855-1857”. New Interpretations of Naval History, Selected Papers from the Fourteenth Naval History Symposium, Naval Institute Press, 2001.
"Albany College of Pharmacy"; "Hamilton College". The Encyclopedia of New York State, 2005.
“Alexander Clark”; “William Henry Harrison Heard”;“William Frank Powell”; “John E. W. Thompson”. African American National Biography, 2008.
"Rush-Bagot Treaty"; "Anglo-American Treaty"; "Adams-Onis Treaty"; "Webster-Ashburton Treaty"; "Oregon Treaty"; "Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo"; "Alaska Purchase"; "Burlingame Treaty"; "Hay-Herran Treaty"; Hay-Bunau-Varilla Treaty. Age of Imperialism, 2007.
"Frederick Douglass"; "Frederick Douglass, `What is the 4th of July to a Slave?'"; "Henry Highland Garnet"; Mifflin W. Gibbs"; "John Mercer Langston"; "Amistad Case". Encyclopedia of Free Blacks and Free People of Color in the Americas, 2010.
Book Reviews and Review Essays
- Published in: American Neptune; Business History Review; Civil War History; International Journal of Maritime History; Journal of American History; Journal of Southern History; Log of Mystic Seaport; Naval Historical Foundation Book Reviews; The Northern Mariner/Le marin du nord; Retired Officer Magazine; Sea History; Seaport: Steamboat Bill/Power Ships.
Books in Progress
- Advancing American Seapower: The Story of Richard W. Meade III (1837-1897)
Painful Cases: The Antebellum Navy and its Efficiency Boards of 1855-1857
Sable Diplomats: African-Americans in the U.S. Diplomatic Corps, 1865-1914