Welcome to the Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Writing Center! On this page you will find descriptions of the center's philosophy and services.
What Is the Writing Center?
The Writing Center is a free, one-to-one service available to all members of the ACPHS community. It is staffed by peer and professional tutors who are trained to assist writers at all levels of ability with any type of written or oral communication task at any stage of the writing or oral communication process.
The center's goal is to help writers and speakers become more confident, competent, and independent. Tutors work with students to create better writers and speakers, not just better papers and presentations. All writers and speakers need trained, supportive and responsive readers and listeners. The Writing Center strives to provide an atmosphere in which writers and speakers can feel comfortable seeking support and feedback.
Faculty are encouraged to refer students in their classes and their advisees to the Writing Center.
What Services Does The Writing Center Provide?
- • One-to-one tutoring for students at any stage of a writing or oral communication project
- • Experienced faculty tutors to assist English as an Additional Language students
- • An ongoing workshop series that provides support for students with writing and communication tasks for their classes in a small group atmosphere
- • Weekend tutoring by appointment
Services are available for Vermont students via email tutorials at WritingCenter@acphs.edu. Students should include in their requests:
- • The assignment description and any associated rubrics
- • Any questions or concerns about the assignment
The center's goals are to help students with their writing needs and create confident, self-reflective writers. It does not provide editing or proofreading assistance. Students will receive thoughtful and useful feedback.
Students should allow at least 24 hours for tutors to respond to their requests. Tutors respond during normal, drop-in hours but not on evenings or weekends.
Detailed information about the Writing Center is on the ACPHS Blackboard web site (Students tab » Office of Student Affairs » Tutoring » Writing Center).
For more information please contact:
Laura Rogers, D.A.
Director of the Writing Center
Tel: (518) 694-7261