A New Century Dawns
moved into its own building
(above) for first time in 1909
As ACPHS entered the new millennium, change was in the air.
The population of Albany in 1900 was a whopping 94,000 and growing larger each year,
as was the number of enrollees at the College. By 1901, after 20 years of existence,
ACPHS's graduating class had risen from three to 29.
The College continued to grow and change. Willis G. Tucker, M.D., Ph.D., now had
been Dean for nearly 20 years, in addition to positions as Dean and Professor at
Albany Medical College and his work as the Director of the Bureau of Chemistry for
the State Board of Health.
With a ready-made cadre of pharmacy professors available from the ranks of the alumni,
the College kept up the practice of bringing graduates on board to fill teaching
positions. Theodore Bradley '95 was named Secretary of the school and, in 1902,
Edwin Cunningham Hutman '91, became Director of the Pharmacy Lab. In the Pharmacy
Lab, located on Maiden Lane and later on Howard Street , seniors learned compounding
of prescriptions and practical dispensing.
of the Class of 1902
There were now eight professors, up from the original three, and, although the Pharmacy
program still was just two years in duration, students were required to attend six
or more lectures each week for 25 weeks a year. Scholarly texts included Gray's
Lesson's for Botany, the National Dispensatory for Materia Medica and Caspari's
Courses in Physics, taught by William L. Larkin '01, and Pharmaceutical Calculations
were added to the curriculum. By the end of the decade, the faculty had increased
to 11 and the 28-week academic year included courses in Latin, to assist in reading
and writing prescriptions; Toxicology; Hygiene and First Aid to the Injured; Commercial
Pharmacy; Inorganic Chemistry; Physiology and Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence.
Laboratory, circa 1909
Students were held more accountable than in the past; there was a preliminary entrance
exam and optional weekly recitations were added to prepare for the new state licensing
regulations that were scheduled to go into effect for pharmacists. The extra classes
and requirements were reflected in the tuition, which rose to $70 a year with a
$3 matriculation fee. As ACPHS entered its third decade, alumni numbered nearly
400 and continued to meet annually on Commencement evening. With the subject of
women's rights much in the forefront across society, the ACPHS Alumni Association
took a radical step in 1900 when it decided to "invite ladies" to its banquet. "We
have several women graduates among us, paying dues, whom we have no right to debar
from the benefits of membership" read the minutes of the annual meeting.
The banquet that year was held at the swanky Kenmore Hotel in Albany and for $2.50
a plate alumni feasted on an elegant repast that concluded with Punch au Kirsch,
cigarettes and the exotic sounding Spongato, an Italian-style ice cream.
By 1901, the Alumni Association had deemed that inviting women was an "experiment
so successful" that the men were advised to "come and bring your better half" every
year. From that point on, both alumnae and spouses of alumni were invited to the
The pharmacy field was going through its own changes. In 1904, Chapter 554 of the
New York State Law passed, decreeing that "all candidates for license appearing
before the Board of Examiners must be graduates of a college or School of Pharmacy
regulated by the Board of Regents in the State of NY , which requires 12 Regents
counts for entrance." The law, which took effect in January 1905, "elevated very
materially the standing of pharmacy in the state."
To attend ACPHS, students needed a Pharmacy Student Certificate issued by the New
York State Education Department, though they no longer were required to have drug
store experience upon entrance to the College. However, students still needed to
get in a certain number of hours of hands-on experience before graduation, and diplomas
were withheld until the College requirements were met.
There were changes in the workplace as well. Under the new law, pharmacists could
not work more than 136 hours in two consecutive weeks or more than 10 hours a day
(12 on Saturday). And, in 1906, the Pure Food and Drug Act established the Food
and Drug Administration, which had regulatory oversight of labels and packaging
information for over-the-counter drugs, requiring pharmacists to accurately label
patent medicines containing opium, morphine and other drugs.
Pharmacognosy Room, circa 1909
In 1905, the first ACPHS Alumni Directory was published and pointed up the wide
diversity in jobs held by graduates during the first 20 years of the College's existence.
Some alumni returned to the College to teach, including Garret V. Dillenback '84,
Ph.G., who came on board when Gustavus Michaelis, Ph.G., stepped down as an active
Professor of Pharmacy in 1903.
Others, such as Birdsie L. Maltbie '85, President of the Maltbie Chemical Corporation
of East Orange , N.J. , became wealthy owners of their own pharmaceutical companies.
Warren L. Bradt '89 was Secretary of the New York State Board of Pharmacy, Robert
Lamb '89 was Superintendent of the State Hospital at Dannemora and Harry Mason '94
was editor of the Bulletin of Pharmacy.
Two years after leaving ACPHS, Burt Orrin Kinney founded his first pharmacy in 1903.
The Gouverneur-based chain that bears his name now includes 80 employee-owned stores
in New York and Vermont .
Still other graduates became "commercial travelers" or traveling salesmen, proprietors
In 1907, ACPHS experienced a temporary lag in enrollment due to the more stringent
entry requirements under the new law, but no one seemed unduly worried. A history
of Union University written that year stated that the College's "chief need is a
building of its own."
By 1909, that wish had come true. ACPHS moved into the former Humane Society Building
on Eagle Street , right across the street from its former home at Albany Medical
College . A four-story building proudly labeled with the College's name in large
gold letters, the new facility provided lecture room for 100 and labs for Pharmacy,
Microscopy and Pharmacognosy, although the Chemistry Lab still was located at AMC.